Saturday, November 15, 2014

Song of the Day: Timbaland featuring Keri Hilson - The Way I Are (2007)

I am the worst dancer of all-time. I'm so bad that I really don't even enjoy dancing, and it's a source of constant embarrassment. Pretty much the only time I will dance is if I'm drunk enough that I can't even speak in complete sentences. BUT... There are a very small handful of songs in the universe that defy this behavioral constant, and this is one of them.



I really don't have much to say about this song other than I love it, and my shoulders and hips start involuntarily shimmying within the first few beats. It's really out of my control. 

Generally speaking, I do love Timbaland as a producer and sound architect, and I think of him as a bit like a hip-hop Brian Eno. His work with Nelly Furtado and Justin Timberlake is mostly outstanding. But this is still my favorite song he's worked on, and I think of the synth riff as sort of the purest distillation of what he brings to the table.

This was originally written and posted on Facebook on June 7, 2014

Check out the Song of the Day Archive!!

No comments:

Post a Comment